October 17, 2013

interview | Lord Byron


Hailing from the crevices of Dallas, Texas, Lord Byron represents an adverse sound that sunders him from the rest of his southern hip-hop peers. With a lyrical intellect that runs parallel to an oleaginous flow, he is destined to gain mainstream’s attention through his talent, wit, and integrity. When you listen to his music, you won’t hear rhymes inclusive to lean or slabs but that’s the enticing element about his art - he speaks his truth because he acknowledges that his story is an art in itself. Why fly through the realms of conformity when you can be your own Lord, right? Get to know the young, Dallas lyricist known as Lord Byron below. 


###############


Bria: How would you explain who Lord Byron is?

Lord Byron: I'm a surrealist.

B: What did your adolescent years consist of while growing up in Dallas?

LB: I grew up like every other child in poverty-stricken environments. I wasn't poor but I had poor friends. I had good times and I had times where my adolescence was exposed to reality at an early age opposed to most of suburbia, whose children grow up shielded due to better circumstances. But that’s pretty much it in a nutshell. 

B: Your most recent release, Dark Arts Vol. 2, was the follow up to the first volume, which released in December 2012. How would you describe what the title means in regards to your music?

LB: Dark Arts are arts that are defined as disturbing or horrific in nature. I never told anyone this but Dark Arts Vol. 2 was inspired by Edgar Allen Poe’s short stories like The Tell-Tale Heart and The Fall Of The House of Usher. That's why those songs have an opaque aura to them and those lyrics narrate so vividly with deep metaphors and similes like a story. It may sound cheesy but it's the truth .

B: Describe the track that you feel most connected to on Dark Arts Vol. 2 and why?

LB: That's hard. Umm...it would probably be L'Chaim though. Shoutout to my nigga Brrd because if it wasn't for his excellence...that track wouldn't have been possible, but the record defines my morals to the tee. Everything I represent and stand for is in that song. I was staying with Brrd and ★★★★★ in Denver working on this project and Brrd sent me the beat with a Blitz sound bite in the beginning that spontaneously broke into a lush sample. So, I started listening to it for a few minutes and then it came to me that it sounded like rise and redemption and I should spill everything out [on the record].

B: Texas possesses a strong piece of hip-hop history through Houston and I think that causes Dallas hip-hop to fall into the shadows a little bit. What’s your opinion of the current hip-hop scene in Dallas and how do you see yourself playing a role in its future?

LB: Well Dallas itself is a beautiful city with vast amounts of talent and unique individuals that vary and stray from the stereotypical "hee haww!" Texan. As far as the music scene in Dallas, it definitely falls into Houston's shadows even though we bred artists like Erykah Badu, D.O.C, and Usher. Recently, as a city, I think we have to stray from the norm and not conform to it...be different and build our own stylized sound. It's getting better. It just takes time and my role is to basically launch that vessel and put Dallas on the map as a market hot spot so all of the niggas here can have a fair chance at pursuing their dreams and getting their mothers out of the hood or even just to flourish. 

B: What and/or who has influenced you the most in pursuing your rap career?

LB: My mother working at McDonald's for eighteen years to provide for my sister and myself, Jay-Z, and me knowing my importance to the people who need me. Also, just being a student of the culture. I love this shit like it’s my child.  I breathe and eat this shit and I can't see myself doing anything else. I'm dumb nice so I know it'll happen when the stars align and God is ready for me to have it, but it's already been foretold so look out for me ‘cause I'm coming. 

B: An evident facet of your artistry is your level of intellect through your word play and vocabulary, but unfortunately, the music game now promotes the “dumb down” versus smart lyricism. What is your plan to maneuver through that infamous stereotype and make people acknowledge your art?

LB: I don't have to do anything but stay true to myself. Real recognizes real and I’m going to remain an intelligent black man and not conform to the regular [stereotype]. People thought Basquiat's art was childish and mediocre until Andy Warhol gave him a platform and then he became a world figure. I'm trying to make [real] art and have timeless pieces next to my name. As I said, it's about the representation of the culture…once you become a famous rapper you're raising everyone’s kids, regardless of ethnicity, and rappers don't realize that. So I'll breakthrough by staying true and remaining smart on the music and business side. 

B: What’s your creative process like before you record a track? Is there any part that is easier or harder for you?

LB: Nothing's hard...laziness produces difficulty. It may take me two minutes to write a verse or two weeks to write two bars but I guarantee you that you'll never hear mediocre product from me. 

B: I’ve noticed that you don’t have features from other artists on your music, each record appears to be just you and the producer. Is that decision intentional? If so, please explain why.

LB: Yea the whole Very Nice Very Nice [LB's indie label] sound is stylized off exclusivity. I have to really respect you as an artist and visionary to want to collaborate. I did collaborate on DA2 with one of the new generation's prodigies DGH

B: As an independent artist what are the most important lessons that you have learned so far? Are there any mistakes/bad decisions you have made? Or are there any great decisions you made that worked for you?

LB: Um, I haven't really made any mistakes and I don't know how any of this is happening really. I only put out one album with no buzz whatsoever, I used one media outlet with ninety-two Twitter followers, in a city where the type of music I make isn't popular. Then, all of a sudden, things started to happen - all by remaining true to what I believe in. So with that said, my best advice to anyone is to be serious and diligent in your aspirations. 

B: What message do you aim to put forth in your music?

LB: How beauteous black is.  

B: If Lord Byron could only represent one thing, it would be....

LB: Black excellence. 



######################

Check out more from Lord Byron here
Feature: @lrdzbyrn
Writer: @kwnbria