November 02, 2013

le bullshit de fashion | Fantastic Man x Dior Homme


Bad advertising campaigns run rampant in the fashion industry and serve as my biggest issue with high-fashion puppeteers. Whether it’s a lack of diversity, originality, or if it’s just completely stupid, it truly irks me. Why? It’s simple. High-fashion brands stand on pedestals of opportunity where they can expose the new era of fashion consumerism yet they refuse to do so. I’ll give you the most recent example: Fantastic Man Magazine's collaboration with Dior Homme. The two brands decided to link up to showcase Dior Homme’s Autumn/Winter 2013 collection through a short-film series titled Rotation. The series consists of five films that each includes a rhythm less “b-boy” suited up in Dior while he breaks himself away into a Chris Brown seizure. Now, why do I consider this bad marketing? Well, when I watched the films, I couldn’t comprehend the connection, therefore, I was confused. When I seen the guys breaking, I thought of hip-hop but when I thought of hip-hop, I didn’t think of Dior. Can you see my dilemma? In my perspective, this dance film series would’ve been great with true dancers similar to the Groovaloos or even the Jabbawockeez (No, I’m not trying to be facetious). However, instead of enlisting dancers who could actually represent the culture of hip-hop, the casting director chose some modelesque dancers who couldn’t. So, the bridge was ultimately destroyed before it was ever built and that’s why I think this marketing collaboration is bullshit. They, meaning Fantastic Man and Dior, desired to inject a new choreographic energy into fashion but ended up portraying a façade that even a blind man could see through. So, to whoever conjured up this stupid film idea, please know that you failed miserably and you should’ve resigned from your position last week. Check out one of the five parts of the film below and tell me if I'm wrong.