August 13, 2013

cinematic shorts | SLOW by Darius Clark Monroe


If a director can push a narrative through a new envelope and then, create a new vision for me to see the envelope in…that’s a golden moment for me as a viewer. I think the art of film is losing its way because many filmmakers are not going far enough. They are too busy pacing within the box, instead of running outside of the box. Well, thankfully, a filmmaker by the name of Darius Clark Monroe ran outside of the box when he, along with Carlton Byrd and Harvey Moore, created the short film titled SLOW. The film dwells into the perimeter of homosexuality and does so in a ugly, yet amazingly beautiful form. The film premiered in 2011 and has aired at several film festivals, and I cannot believe that I am just learning of it. Please check it out below and let me state, if you are an active sufferer of homophobia, do not view the film. I celebrate all forms of art that I find provocative and mentally stimulating which is exactly what SLOW represents. 



Source: Darius Clark Monroe